10.06.07

A trip to Jumla

Posted in Travel & Places at 12:54 by www.PHALANO.com

What is to change?

jumla.gifBy Kshitiz Adhiraj

And here it was a dream finally coming true, despite the Sita air flight from scorching Nepalgunj wasn™t the best of aviation Nepal had to offer, the stop across the mountains covered in the next 20 minutes was what I will be talking about as things from that moment on never stayed the same for me, I was in Jumla after all.

The next seven days I was spending there was to show me why after all they wanted change? Some interesting but shocking findings was soon to unfold.

A day long trek (mainly because I could not walk) took me to the narrow but long valley of Sija, hmmm Nepali Bhasa Ko Utpatti Thalo (The place Nepali language originated from), and at one point the strongest nation of Nepal. As I stood in front of the Kanaka Sundari temple and next to the ruins of the palace of King Soban Sahi, what laid in front of my eyes did not represent any aspects of this rich history. As the trip advanced further on, newer and exciting things popped up. The most exciting of them all was the one point from where I could walk no further towards my goal to reach Rara Lake, so I opted a stay at Okkharpata, one of the final villages I was to meet before reaching Rara. Anyway cause I wouldn™t make it, I am not gonna talk of it any further.

Okkharpata however was the best thing that happened to me in Jumla. A village of native khasan™s majority of the village were Chhetri™s with only a couple of houses owned by dalits. I was to meet a family of Chhetri tailor, the great grand son of the person who opposed working as slaves to the Sahi king and the common men at the blacksmiths corner sharing a pot of joint or catching up with Ganatantra guff. The bravery stories and the change maker guff apart, these were people who despite the extreme poverty and the disparity the government has thrown on their faces have learned to live it. There was never a sad face to be seen.

Not seeing sad people was a major challenge to me, as my stereotypical elite brain wanted to see sad faces when they are called poor, after spending the week with them conclusion to this state was that these people of Karnali have after the ekikaran of Nepal been time and again betrayed. They have been disrespected as people, neglected as citizens and hence pain improvised by the state.

Although there are not many good things to be talked about this evolution, there are a few aspects which seem to be playing a major role in keeping Karnali put despite the harsh socio economic conditions. The culture of not believing anyone is strong, and this was also something development workers deployed by both the government and the non government sectors had to share with me about Jumla. œJumli people do not trust anything we say, and the other thing these Bikashe (developed) people had to share with me was, œyahan bahira bata ayeka manchhe le jhutra luga dekhe tara tyesh bhitra lukeko dhan dekhenan. (visitors see tattered clothes but they do not see wealth hidden inside it)

Having said so, I remembered the headlines in Kantipur, which wrote about the crores of business that Yarchagumba has brought to Karnali. Walking down Okkharpata through the valley of Sija into Jumla again, I never saw a plot of land that was not cultivated, or a plot where yielding something, food most of all seemed to be a problem. Apart from the 4-5 months of snow that changes life in Jumla, this hilly district is home to some of the best quality paddy, beans, wheat, maize and millet along with buckwheat. But still we hear stories of people running hungry in Jumla, how true is that? Perhaps it is, may be those two other parts of Jumla has harsh living conditions but I believe it™s not about not having food, it about not having rice and it is this culture of only seeing rice as food which has deprived both the people and their mentalities of living a life where everything could have been better. The common food of a Jumli is rice and beans during the summer and Kodo or wheat with beans again during the winter. It is not that these lands which grow beans and wheat and maize and buckwheat are infertile when it comes to other food like may be vegetables. But it is the evolution once again, and the mainstream mentality that has time and again tried to establish them as poor hungry people with nothing to posess that has made a sharp impact on the people themselves.

A Jumli usually goes out to trade also across the borders of Nepal to India during winter to sell things that are collected from Jumla, or may be use their tremendous business skills to buy something somewhere and sell it off to people in high prices. It is believed that on a seasonal migration as this, an individual makes up to 30-50 thousand Nepalese rupees, which is in a course of something less than two months.

Are all these issues going to be solved simply by reaching Jumla with electricity and road? What exactly is it that we are looking at and what do we want from it? These are questions that popped up in my skull after my visit to Jumla.

Soon I am off to Singapore where I study something totally different from development and politics, but this thought keeps hitting me and more so after this trip, what are we doing to change what is happening? Why are things different the minute we step in Nepal?

Perhaps all we need to do is change the way we perceive.

All pictures by Kshitiz Adhiraj

177 comments »

1. Netra Bhandari, Goettingen, Germany said,

October 6, 2007 at 15:14

Dear Kshitiz-ji,
    Excellent collection of the pictures and reflection about Jumla. You are absolutely correct with respect to the struggle of Jumlis is not only limited to the geographical difficulties, which we have mastered well, but more on our mentalities to conceive the development and politics. I don’t wonder in this respect, one finds Jumlis politically sensitive.

All in all, thanks a lot for your portray and conclusion that we still need to do a lot in our country for many places like Jumla. Your pictures took me back to the trail from Okharpata, Hatsinjha valley, Chaunrikhola and Jumla valley giving me a nostalgic touch. I am sure that you have rejoiced your trip.

Thanks.

Netra Jumli

2. avrom harris, edinburgh, scotland said,

October 6, 2007 at 15:18

Thank you for the beautiful photographs.

3. krishna oli ( Dang Bagmare) said,

October 6, 2007 at 16:23

real picture of jumla distt. i think the jumla is little different distt of nepal i never reach there . now after looking all type of pictures my thinking really true . very strange pic, little funny too. any way thanks for good your service.

4. Sudip Adhikari, Bhojpur, Now:- Dubai, UAE. said,

October 6, 2007 at 23:08

“A trip to Jumla” showed that the magnificent scenes and simple life are the most valuable things to Jumla. Kshitiz jee, we can read deep poverty in that area through your picture-story. This is of course bitter reality of rural Nepal. Great job Kshitiz jee.

5. Oranje/NY said,

October 7, 2007 at 21:45

Entertaining, provocative and thoughtful !

6. Anjan Pakhrin/Saarbruecken Germany said,

October 7, 2007 at 23:50

Namaste from Germany,
    Pictures are very nice.Thank you Falano for your work.Netaharule jati kura lagaye pani, jati evolution,development ko kura gare pani yi thauma kahilei pani najar lagayenan.Danya ti netahru.

7. sanjose,CA said,

October 8, 2007 at 10:41

wonderful job but i feel kind a sad about those children……

8. Anuska www.nepalz.com/ Denver said,

October 8, 2007 at 11:13

Kshitiz,
    Jumla the article and the pictures portray the real Nepal.
    The mountain and hills, the hard working Nepalese daju bhai, didi-bahini.
    The place is serene and beautiful.
    Leaders have never shed their focus on this land. Nepalese of western Nepal is really being out of radar of any govermental development projects.
    We are really proud of Jumli for saving the true Nepali, culture and tradition.
    Jumla a true Nepal.

-Anuska Joshi

9. Kishor Adhikari,SanFrancisco said,

October 8, 2007 at 11:58

Infact this is nepal’s picture.Now let’s take few photographs from Newroad and Darbar Marg and post for comparision.

10. omkumar,texas,usa said,

October 8, 2007 at 12:23

thanx, dai for the beautyfull picture,
    when i will be back nepal i will give better development for this village.

11. Arjun Khanal/ Kolkata said,

October 8, 2007 at 12:48

Namaste,

Reality seems in your report. I like your saying that people are still running in hunger as we listen but it is the problem thinking only rice is the food not the real hunger. This is the real problem.Because they have the other means of food too. And the photos are interesting but the last thali of “kodo ko dhido and aluko achar” oh i am unable to control myself. Thanks a lot for the view.

12. Rajesh gurung /Australia said,

October 8, 2007 at 13:23

Thank u very much for nice real villagers pictures.i remembered my childhood life at remote village east part of nepal (Rumjatar)

13. rai matri/ hong kong said,

October 8, 2007 at 13:30

what a lovely photo with note………. thank you post here mr.Kshitiz Adhiraj nad support for phalano lai pani ……….

14. J Nepal/Nepalgunj said,

October 8, 2007 at 14:21

Photos are so nice. Thanks for Phalano and Kshitiz-ji.

15. yubaraj /dubai U.A.E. said,

October 8, 2007 at 15:06

namaskar yubaraj (shiva) from dubai
    wowwww realy nice picture to see from abord . i am big thanks to falano to provied such a nice pic. hope will get more pic from this side.

16. Seoul said,

October 8, 2007 at 16:18

Good Picturesss, true nepal, and exact reflection..

17. siru,israel said,

October 8, 2007 at 16:59

namaste,
    Wonderful pictures.Thanks alot for ur work coz i never know this much abt Jumla.U shows the real picture of Jumla n JUmli people.its a great job.keep it up!

18. raju gurung Hamburg germany said,

October 8, 2007 at 17:00

Ask not what the country can do for you ,
    as what you can do for your contry. NEPALI NETA HARU KO GIDDI MA I KURA KINA PASSE NA?

Any way I will like to thank you very much for the wonderful pictur.
    enjoy the things what you do , and do the best what you can.

19. Rajendra - Kolkata said,

October 8, 2007 at 17:30

Thank you for highlighting the Fact in Picture.

Adhiraj dada, First of all, it is people of Jumla, who should try hard to bring changes. If they are satisfied with the present state, they will remain so for next hundred years.

Secondly, there is no significant influence or presence of any government body in remote places of Nepal.

People of Jumla should come together and do the developmental work. They should ask monitary and logistic support from Kathmandu.

It is obvious that political leader will not come physically from outside and do some thing for Jumla.

Keep posting the truth.

20. Hikmat Thapa,Lagos,Nigeria said,

October 8, 2007 at 18:02

Thank many Kshitiz ! for bring out little bit reality of Jumla .It is not a story of Jumla only but realistic story of all Karnali regions and other hilly villages of far western Nepal .

Hope that the question left by you at the end of story may positively struck on the mind of Politicians & BIKASHE activists ? for bring Jumla region littlebit near the line of 21st centurys world.
    Thank you again for this lovely feature and work.
    Hikmat Thapa

21. Diwas Shrestha/ Germany said,

October 8, 2007 at 18:10

Kurchu ma saddhai phalano.com ko,
    herchu ma yi phota haru, ma mero desh ko,
    padhchu ma sathiharu le dinu bhaye ma comment haru
    dukha lagcha malai yi padhda,dekhda .

maile nai po ke gareka chu ra desh ko lagi,
    khali ‘Aru’ lai garyo gali, yesto usto kasto,
    bhannu nai cha bhane afai lai bhana
    des chadi ayeko chau jau desh banauna,
    garnu thuprai cha desh ma, thau dheri chan bhanaune
    afu nasakne bhye arulai kina dosh lagaune.

dhanya cha sathi yi phota haru ko lagi
    tadha hunda mero desh ko mitho yaad ko lagi
    saddhai yesta punya kaam gardai janu ,
    malai matra hoina mero sathi haru
    Nepal chodi bidesiyeka chan uniharu, unlai pani desh banaune bhawana ubjaunu

22. Poshendra, Cambridge said,

October 8, 2007 at 18:42

Kshitiz Bhai,

Nice photographs with touching story/ies to know better places like Jumla at the ‘periphery’ . These photos speak themselves, your words have made the message even louder.

Keep it up. Best wishes and good luck with your work!!

Poshendra

23. krishna roka, pennsylvania said,

October 8, 2007 at 18:46

Thank you Falano.com,
    The pictures are awesome. Jumla indeed needs more development and political commitment to catch up with the rest of the nation. Ye neta haru ho……..look at these pictures and try to think constructively regarding development in rural areas.

24. Upendra Sharma, Columbus,USA said,

October 8, 2007 at 19:34

Hello ,
    Thanks for nice picture. When I saw this picture I remember long time ago I was there. I used to work Jumla and I went differnt village. Thanks again.
    Upendra Sharma
    Columbus, Ohio

25. NEW DELHI said,

October 8, 2007 at 19:50

26. Nepal » Blog Archives » A trip to Jumla said,

October 8, 2007 at 20:03

[...] A trip to Jumla air flight from scorching Nepalgunj wasn™t the best of aviation Nepal had to offer, the stop across… originated from), and at one point the strongest nation of Nepal. As I stood in front of the Kanaka Sundari… the ekikaran of Nepal been time and again betrayed. They have been disrespected as people, neglected… of Nepal to India during winter to sell things that are collected from Jumla, or may be use… to change what is happening? Why are things different the minute we step in Nepal? Perhaps all we need [...]

27. Prithbi Thapa/Dresden, Germany said,

October 8, 2007 at 21:10

Oh, really I remembered Jumla where I had been some months before with some specific purpose. Definitely, Jumla is remote district of Nepal. Government should plan the economy related infrastructures considering social/regional inclusion rather than only traditional economic analysis of project. But the political leaders as well as general people should have an empathy not sympathy. Actually, Jumla has agriculture lands having potentials of cereal crops( in Jumla valley, Sinja Valley…), fruit farming( apple) and vegetables and is also potential to providing irrigation facilities. Recently, as per the program of NPC, Nepal Army is constructing road towards Sinja valley to connect Mugu which we have take it as positive.
    Thanks a lot for reminding me by your phographs and at least you visited that district.

28. bishal malla, usa said,

October 8, 2007 at 21:58

wonderful collection…
    i appreciate the hadr work of the photographer.that was a gr8888 job…

29. naren said,

October 8, 2007 at 22:52

man u rock

30. top bdr khadka\auh said,

October 8, 2007 at 23:13

yes, the reporter went there through aeroplane.but it would be better if u had reached there by the bus,because now the road transportation is available to jumla.if u had gone by the bus u would have been able to give us more good and bad report and result.u reach to jumla in 20 minutes.but if u were really there to study,see,search and report u must have gone by the bus.however i will say u many many thanks for showing at least little life in jumla region.

31. Kalyan/North Bay,can said,

October 9, 2007 at 00:47

Got chance to see Jumla..Always I had thought that i will be there some day, I will see each part..At list Kanthpur Publication is doing great thing by bringing visual..great job…plus the idea of explaining with picture make it understand more…Thanks for doing Great job..And HOPE POLTICAL PARTIES WILL NOT INTERFEAR MEDIA IN THIS ADVANCE AND DEMOCRATIC world..Thanks

32. Tej , USA said,

October 9, 2007 at 00:49

wau!!!

I am overwhelmed by this photo album.
    A true nepal it reflects indeed.
    Thanx

33. naen scotland said,

October 9, 2007 at 00:59

great job

34. CHHABI RAM LAMICHHANE. ABUDHABI.U.A.E. said,

October 9, 2007 at 01:05

thai thanks for nepale colcher so your the best….

35. Jörg from Berlin, Germany said,

October 9, 2007 at 01:29

Dearn Kshitiz Adhiraj,

Namaste from Berlin, Germany,

Thank you very much for your information about the socio economic conditions in Jumla and the interesting photos.

36. sunita gautam USA, DE said,

October 9, 2007 at 01:39

hi kshitiz,lots of thanks for providing these beautiful picture of jumla which directly touch the heart of we nepali. These pictures reflect the actual poverty situation of our country, development and future of these people who survive a harder life there. we all suggest to our NETAJI just look outside of the kathmandu valley where people are wating for chage for betterment.

37. Deepak Bikram Thapa,Li said,

October 9, 2007 at 02:11

I dont have any coments for all these picture…but after i C these pictures i am really sad, mood off and my eye are full of tears…..These people are all my Family and that place is part Of my Nepal….Everybody lets really think about all these people and those place….because Whole Nepal is our House and the every face shown in this pictures are our Family…..

38. Kalpana/USA said,

October 9, 2007 at 02:13

I just don’t have any words to explain what I felt when I looked at those pictures and read the descriptions. Thank you for all your effort and I am glad that you could experience this life changing trip.

You are right, maybe we need to change how we perceive things while trying to search for immense joy that is hidden behind those torn clothes.

39. B Gurung San Francisco said,

October 9, 2007 at 03:05

You guys do wanderful jop.

40. Hokkaido Japan said,

October 9, 2007 at 04:22

Namaste Jumli Dajubhai ra Didi bainiharu. Bada Dasaiko Suvakamana.
    We all Nepali are equal so do not diffirencate Jumli or Jhapali. Jumli are more laborious and living in real nature. My pride Jumli life.
    Wounderful picture.
    Salam Falano.
    Salam Jumli.

41. Dipak Poudel, Sydney, Australia said,

October 9, 2007 at 04:37

thanks a lot for the real images of real Nepal!!! This is the real Nepal. In kathmandu, we can’t see the real Nepal…people who are living in Kathmandu, donot have any pains and feelings regarding those people who are living such a remote place! Kathmandu donot represent the real nepal! this is real nepal that we have to show the people who are saying….we are Nepali…by siting…in villas in kathmandu! thanks for your real work! its highly appreciated!

42. Yubraj Subedi said,

October 9, 2007 at 06:15

The face of Jumla will change very soon. Nepali face can be seen in Karnali Zone. If Karnali face changed there is nothing to stop Nepal and Nepali being developed or cultured country. The Nepali Planner priority shold focused on Karnali Zone alike area. My whole good wishes to Jumli, Humli, or Karnali alike area of Nepal
    Salam to Jumla
    Jumli, Subedi Yubraj

43. Robin Rai (USA) said,

October 9, 2007 at 07:13

I Appreciate to Mr. Kshitiz Adhiraj… to his great collection of Jumla as well as explorering to Nepal to the World

44. Ramesh Subedi/Dili,East Timor said,

October 9, 2007 at 07:16

Kshitij-ji,
    Good day.

Really those picture are very nice and represent our uneasy life and undevelopment situation in this 21century.May God bless leaders to give their attention to develop the area such as similerly on the eve of new NEPAL..

45. Vishma Kharel Kansas USA said,

October 9, 2007 at 07:43

This is what a real Nepal is and we all need to do something to this this heaven to make it the home of gords.

46. THAKLUR KUMAR PARIYAR// DOHA QATAR said,

October 9, 2007 at 09:36

thais really beauty full picture you captured and that one very traditional place but our politician r never thingking about like that place this the very worry to our country and as we thank full always to falano.com and kantipuronline but jumli are now also not coming out from the villege so we all shoot show them to world what is going on event in our country also / THANKS VERY VERY MUCH FOR NICE PICTURE

47. Doha,Qatar said,

October 9, 2007 at 10:52

Thanke you Rajesh ji for the jumlies picture. Because,always i am waiting for your new picture in your web.pictures are excellent.

48. Mim Hamal said,

October 9, 2007 at 11:27

Thanks for your nice picture and reflection! I agree with your understanding. In fact, Jumla and whole Karnali is still 100 years back in comparison to Kathmandu. The state should think seriously to develop retrospectively otherwise there will be again big AKROSH resulting BHAYANAK ANDOLAN!

Mim Hamal, Humla
    Now at Nepalgunj

49. omkar,1615 Steven St.Albert Lea MN.56007 said,

October 9, 2007 at 11:39

Thank you for nice pictures.I love my country kina ki …………..it is beautiful.

50. karuna,kathmandu said,

October 9, 2007 at 12:01

to anjan pakhrin,
    k neta haru matra yo des ko citizens haru hun? kina sadhai aru lai blame garne? haami nepali bhayera aafno resposibilities ramrari nibhayekaa chau ta?
    dhanya ti sabai nepali haru lai jo complain garna thakdainan……..

51. Sangit , Manila said,

October 9, 2007 at 13:06

tnx for nice pictures! Real and sad truth of Jumla where much attention needed!

52. Rawal LB, Melbourne, Australia said,

October 9, 2007 at 13:13

Dear Kshitiz-je,

Thanks a lot for your great job, bringing real reflection about Jumla through beautiful collection of pictures. Yes, you are right there are many things yet to do in our country, esp. like Jumla and periphery which are not been mainstreamed with the national development grid yet. However conceiving development and politics in a community perspective remains important prior making efforts for changes.

Your pictures took me back to Jumla, where we have grown up and still struggling to find the ways for real development. And finally I am sure that you enjoyed your trip.

Thanks,
    Rawal

53. Ramesh Bhandari said,

October 9, 2007 at 13:29

Dear Photo Grapger,
    Very nice pictures. It show our real life( Neplease), it is mirror where we easily can see the reality.

Ramesh Bhandari
    Khimti Dolakha

54. JK Guangzhou said,

October 9, 2007 at 15:08

Amazing

55. कुलदिप ढकाल,तारुका-६,नुवकोट(हाल:Dubai) said,

October 9, 2007 at 15:19

यी उमेश जी का फोटोग्राफहरुका त बयान गरिसाद्देइ छैन भन्या, क्यामराचाहि कुन कम्पनी को होला नि थाहा पाउन पाये पनि हुन्थ्यो, म पनि कोसीस गर्थे यस्तै फोटो खिच्न।
    र अन्त्यमा यहाँहरु सम्पूर्णमा बिजया दशमी तथा दीपबली को उत्तोरत्तर प्रगतिको कामना गर्दै हार्दिक मंगलमय शुभकामना ब्यक्त गर्दछु।
    कुलदिप ढकाल(००९७१५०३४५३२४८),Dubai.

56. hasta Bahadur/kuwait said,

October 9, 2007 at 15:36

i actually like the way they smoke grass………cool ..good job

57. Chandra Devkota, London said,

October 9, 2007 at 16:41

Dear Kshitiz,
    Regards from London and thank you so much for taking me back to my Jumla. Though I’ve just been back from Jumla with lots of pictures, looking at your photos i can’t help myself from being homesick again. The first photo posted by you takes me back to nine years when I was with a medical team to organise a health camp when two district of Karnali, Jumla and Kalikot were hit by famine related viral influenza. We had put up our camp in the little island where they used to have police post( I don’t know if its still the case). Just before we arrived at the camp site we heard a news about an young lady who had died of a simple complication while giving birth to her baby, baby died as well. I regretted that moment, if we were to start our journey from Khalanga Bazar two hours earlier we could have saved her life.
    Yes I agree with you whatever you written about your visit to Jumla as well as Karnali used to be one of the most powerful states of the past when there was no Nepal. But in my opinion once Shahas started the so-called unification of Nepal they didn’t pay any attention and respect to the native values of the diffirent regions that they were to unifieed with bigger Nepal. Here we stand now, though Jumla and Karnali are within the Geographical Lines of Nepal, socially and economically they this part of Nepal doesn’t exist within the boundries of Nepal. Therefore, Jumlis and the poeple from Karnali are compelled to believe that when you visit Jumla you are treated like an outsider not as one thier Nepali Bandu! People come and go(Bikase Karye Karta) but Jumla reamins same and we are left to hear same old stories; famine, diarrhrea and ect. So I think biggest challege for our generation is to integrate many geographical regions like Karnali in the real sanse so that the central government as well as Bikase INGO’s started working with the poeple from the respective place that they intend to intervene, not just to work for them.
    At the end I would like to wish you all the best for your studies in Singapore and hope that you will follow all the hapennings of places like Jumla when you are far away from Nepal.
    With best regards
    Chandra Devkota

58. Dambar Thapa said,

October 9, 2007 at 18:00

Dear Kshitiz Ji the pictures you had taken show the real picture of Jumla district. Some of them are really heart touching, beacuase they show the real rurality of Nepal. Hope the government of Nepal wil be aware of the motherland than their own……. Kshitiz Ji you have done great job.

59. RESHAM TAMANG (FRANCE) said,

October 9, 2007 at 20:02

Hello Kshitiz

Great & Excellent collection.

Thank you very much.

Thanks.

RESHAM TAMANG (Sindhupalchok District now in FRANCE)

60. Binod Simkhada/ Aberdeen Scotland said,

October 9, 2007 at 21:29

Eventful… thoughtful and wonderful.

I am a regular viewer of this pictures here at this website. Really a praise worthy practice.

Thanks from the inner core.

61. Abhijit/ Omaha US said,

October 9, 2007 at 22:17

wow… these were really great photos of Jumla… i would love to go there and look at the beautiful things this almost forgotten land has to offer…
    their hardships and the happiness along with stuggle for freedom and development is very praise worthy…. but i dont know when will the so called leaders step down from their personal interests and pay some heed towards what is to be protected and conserved, so that we can say say that this is the country full of natral and cultural heritages to others and most importantly to the next generation as well…..

62. Balkrishna Malla, Dallas, Texas said,

October 9, 2007 at 22:17

Dear Kshitiz,

This is a wonderful portfolio which tells a story of the real Nepal. Whlie the world focuses on Kathmandu, we ignore our other brothers and sister who are suffering. It does open our eyes to the reality and I wished the politicians did so too.
    Thank you for your contribution and of course the wonderful pictures.

Balkrishna Malla

PS: It would be real nice if Phalano could post the pictures in larger version.

63. Cardiff,UK said,

October 10, 2007 at 00:36

Fantastic pictures.
    Please do not forget that Jumla and surrounding areas are very important from historical and linguistic viewpoint.
    It was the place where not only Nepali(khas kura )originated,there are many matwali chhetris,the prototype of present day chhetris, still living there.
    Once,it was part of a proud and powerful kingdom,the KHAS kingdom.
    Khas people migrated into far west Nepal along the hills/mountains from west over a thousand years ago.They were non-vedic Aryans whose descendents are present day chhetris , majority of bahuns and pahari (hill) dalits.
    Matwali chhetris are extremely interesting from socio-anthropological viewpoint -they do not wear sacred thread(janai),drink alcohol and share same surnames as tagadhari chhetris.
    Sadly Jumla has been neglected by its own offsprings who migrated further east.It deserves better treatment and respect.
    Many thanks.P. Rai

64. shashi kumar /Mahendranagar/now doha said,

October 10, 2007 at 00:36

Excellent photograpy ! Very nice to see jumla and jumlies.

65. las cruces usa said,

October 10, 2007 at 00:40

It is agreat effort.
    I would like to suggest you that try to show the beauty of our nation rather than the poverty.
    Thanks for the collection.
    Shyam Kattel
    New mexico , USA

66. Dharma Omaha said,

October 10, 2007 at 02:35

very realistic pictures, inspiring to donate some funds in the future.

Dharma
    Ne, USA

67. Shrawan Kumar JHA,U.S.A said,

October 10, 2007 at 03:56

Thanks a lot for the nice pictures of jumla.

68. Melbourne, Australia said,

October 10, 2007 at 05:29

Hi Kshitiz

It’s really a nice colletion of the pictures from Jumla. Anyway if you have any more then could u pls upload those too..

Those pictures exactly symbolizes the reality of Jumla and the Jumli people..

Mohan Bikram Hamal
    Melbourne
    Australia

69. Rabi Chhantyal Columbus, USA said,

October 10, 2007 at 06:41

My heartfelt thanks to Mr Kshitiz for reminding us how life is in Jumla. A lot of people do not realize that the situation of Nepal is not only that of kathmandu or other major cities, but of the country as a whole. If we can get proper incentives to these people, we will never have the problems of civil war.
    Again thank you and hope you will keep all your viewers amazed with your future photographs.
    Rabi

70. Arun Gurung/Melbourne said,

October 10, 2007 at 08:11

This photo-journal has shown us true picture of Nepal. Nepal is not only Kathmandu, Pokhara, Dharan, Birgunj, Everest or Lumbini. We are often blind-folded and forget to think beyond them. Let’s face the reality and contribute whatever we can.

Thanks for sharing pics!

71. Reet said,

October 10, 2007 at 08:55

Great Job! That’s the reality of Nepal.

72. Roman Khawas said,

October 10, 2007 at 09:40

तश्विर आफै बोल्छ भने जस्तै यी तस्विरहरुले पर्ुण्ारुपमा करनाली (जुम्ला) को प्राकृतीक, जीवन शैली, सास्कृतिक पक्षलाई मात्रै ध्यानाकर्षा नगराएर राजनितिक र बिकासका अवधारणहरुको बारेमा पनि प्रस्ट बोलीरहेको पाईयो । देशले जति शहरीकरण र बजार मूखी अर्थबजारको शंखधोज गरे पनि यी यावत कुराहरुबाट अझै पनि अच्किएको पाईयो । देशमा राजनितिक अस्थिता र बिकासका ढोका ठप्पको अवस्था यथास्थिती नै रहिरेको छ । हरे, यहाँका जनताले कहिले बिकास भन्ने चरो कहिले देख्न पाउने होलान् ।
    क्षितिज जी, तस्विरको लागी धेरै धन्यवाद ।

रोमन खवास, साउदी अरबिया

73. Chudamani Thapa/ New Delhi said,

October 10, 2007 at 10:21

Dear, KC Ji,

This are exclant collection about our reaility. But our leader / who works for poorverty never looks in this situation peoples.

74. Shirantha/Singapore said,

October 10, 2007 at 11:10

Zshitiz well as i know you do good with your camera work this time to you have done a great job showing the world that what is life in the villages.
    The collection of pictures are awesome. As they say pictures say thousand words rite… This is an example.
    GOOD JOB MATE

75. Jyotsna Maskay/Kathmandu said,

October 10, 2007 at 11:41

dear Kshitiz,

awesome collection and thank you for the perspective!

You have made a difference by walking in the scorching heat trying to show the art of travelling and learning!

BTW i love the piccie of kids pulling the somersault stunt..

keep it up!

Cheers. Jyotsna

76. Kshitiz said,

October 10, 2007 at 11:42

Folks,
    Thanks a lot for all ur comments, and most importantly meeting the common point here that places like Jumla are many in nepal and least of attention is paid to their existence by the so called central government.

Hamro yi bhawana haru, bholi ka din ma yatharta ma badlun, ra hamrai paila le Jumla jasta anekaun ankantar banna pugeka nepal hru punaha jiwat banun.

Jhanda ma haina, hamro kadam ma chha rastrabad.

Hamijasta Bideshiyaka nepali haru nepal pharkinchhaun bhanne asha garda chhu.

77. mayank acharya/varanasi said,

October 10, 2007 at 13:19

thankyou for the pictures……all of them keep on giving us a clue of our civilisation and the change we need to bring in ourselves to help in development.(there is a village in east nepal….called mangla bare….it really shows the picture of nepal 300 yrs back but full of beauty and rich in culture…the lifestyle the roads etc….y dont you feature that if you have time)

78. Milan tamang, bijayanagar, now KL, Malaysia said,

October 10, 2007 at 14:49

Dear Kshitiz sir,

Personally, I am more than thankful to you for bringing jumla into web, for letting people around the world to know and feel about Jumla . You’ve done such a wonderful job, much appreciable. The pictures itself speaks alot about jumla. Your picture remind me of my childhood back in Jumla and also make me feel somehow guilty of not doing anything yet despite thinking alot about it. Thank you once again.

Milan Tamang

79. sharad said,

October 10, 2007 at 17:00

all the pictures are good but i think still something is missing . any way good job u did the best

80. usha said,

October 10, 2007 at 18:05

Namaskar kshitiz ji,
    its nice to see the picture of Jumla n jumli people but its hard to see also
    looks like they r living a hard life
    anyway thanx for ur nice work.
    Usha
    Stuttgart Germany

81. Pallab Khanal/ Houston Texas USA said,

October 10, 2007 at 20:33

This clearly shows that we all need inner happiness and nothing else. Otherwise, why cant we be much happier than people in the pictures? There are people whose basic needs are not fullfilled and we look for comfort in our lives. Shame on us!!
    BTW, Great Job. I have always wanted to go and now, even more. Thank you much!!!

82. jay Dahal/Irving, tx, USA said,

October 10, 2007 at 22:50

Living in the states observing the heart touching pictutres makes me feel sometimes if i was in nepal and can add a effort to develop smth. But unfortunetely the political instability displays in my minds covering all the minorities thinking that is in my mind

83. Krishna Khadka/Evansville USA said,

October 10, 2007 at 23:22

Thanks man,
    it’s been a long time i looked back to Jumla,
    u made those memories fresh.

84. Binaya, NYC said,

October 11, 2007 at 02:37

Majestic View but Pathetic Life……

85. Hartmut Bauder Kathmandu said,

October 11, 2007 at 06:31

kshitiz ji
    Thanks for beautiful pictures and interesting reports.
    We (Rotary Club KTM Mid-Town) just began a 4-year project to establish 60 ANM (nurses) in remote places of Jumla and 9 other mid- and far-western districts, with their own mini-clinics, combined with micro-credits. This will hopefully help to solve some of the problems in these neglected parts of Nepal.

86. Purna B.Chalise Bkk.Thailand said,

October 11, 2007 at 11:09

Reality seems in your report. I like your saying that people are still running in hunger as we listen but it is the problem thinking only rice is the food not the real hunger. This is the real problem.Because they have the other means of food too. And the photos are interesting but the last thali of œkodo ko dhido and aluko achar oh i am unable to control myself. Thanks a lot for the view.
    Purna B.Chalise
    Bangkok Thailand

87. Payash, Kathmandu said,

October 11, 2007 at 11:44

Dear kshitiz Dai,
    Its really nice to see all those pictures. Wish i had an
    opportunity to walk with you in such places.

Great Job Brother, Appreciated.

88. Balmukund Prasad Joshi, London,UK said,

October 11, 2007 at 13:37

Dear Kshitiz,

Bravo,for your great effort to collect the reality of Jumla.
    Nepal could be poor materially but from natural beauty to smile of innocent people we are one of the richest in the world.
    Let thye Peace come in Nepal, every thing will be pride for all of us Nepalis.

Jai Nepal !

89. gopal rai, Dubai. said,

October 11, 2007 at 17:53

Good to have someone like mr kshitiz to take us around nepal in true sense !!! Thank you for that. Don’t you have some kind of editing facility out there ??? Some words and sentences needs urgent surgery, as this is going all over the world and it doesn’t project us in good light .

90. TanSherchan, Tokyo said,

October 11, 2007 at 18:53

Kshitiz ji,
    Well how I explain about these beautifil snaps, indeed no words at all. Thanks for contributing by doing this marvellous job to the people in the world.

91. JIT BAHADUR KHADKA KUWAIT said,

October 11, 2007 at 20:49

JIT BDR KHADKA
    KHOTANG- CHHIPAPOKHARI
    NOW – KUWAIT

92. shrestha ramesh tokyo,japan said,

October 11, 2007 at 20:53

First of all photo grapher lai danyabad,kurchi ko moha ma afno atit vulne neta ani bides ma basera nepali pan vulne pratek nepali lai aafno atit sam jhai diye ko 6 e tasbir harule ,e nai photo herera pani aba prtek nepali le sochnu par6 ki abachai aapas ma jhagada garera hoina hat ma hat milayera ,yesta kayeu abikasit thau lai tan maan ra dhan le bikas garaune,yesai massage marfat ma sabai nepali lai ekjut huna aagraha garda 6u, thanks falano keep it on….

93. rubi thapa,usa said,

October 11, 2007 at 22:06

Hi Kshitiz,
    Thanks a lot,for providing us such a real pictures about our real Nepal.I think these all situations will continue forever,until our ‘neta vanauda’ ko dimag ma napase samma.How difficult is life there,i cant imagine.
    This is the time for youngesters to do something for our motherland.

94. uae[dira gold soqu] said,

October 12, 2007 at 02:21

hi very nice gob for your camara skill but not only the jumla you are use the another distiick pohoto collaction is very good also people knows the place world wide is better
    thanks by bal krishna gurung
    dubai[ gold souq]

95. SANTOS LAMA TAMANG BRANFORD CT, USA said,

October 12, 2007 at 04:00

THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES. BUT THE PEOPLES OF JUMLA IT LOOKS
    VERY POOR AND STILL BACKWARD.THAT’S WHY FOREIGN PEOPLES ALWAYS LOOK US DOWN .STILL NO SIGN OF ANY DEVELOVEMENT IN THE COUNTRY. BECAUSE OF THE DIRTY POLITIAN , THEY FIGHT ONLY FOR THE CHAIR AND THEY DON’T CARE PEOPLES AND COUNTRY.
    SANTOS LAMA TAMANG USA.

96. BJ KC Sydney said,

October 12, 2007 at 06:51

Absolutely brilliant work. Feels so guilty that we are abandoning our beautiful country and living overseas because of the greed of politicians and the political instability.

97. surendra/ virginia USA said,

October 12, 2007 at 09:52

this is the real nepal reflectory. but development is most essential i feel after seeing these photos. wht happened to nepali leaders , …i think they have not heard about jumla. what you think? anyway thanx for showing jumla all over the world.

98. terra,Dubai American Academy said,

October 12, 2007 at 10:12

thankx kshitiz !!!

99. Manoj sah . china said,

October 12, 2007 at 18:07

thanks for your information . i hope to get some more information in future about some other place with low socio-economic status of nepal . i really have strong desire to help these people .

100. Dev K. Khadka said,

October 13, 2007 at 01:37

Now im in dubai, im very happy 2 this pic.
    Thank you so much.

101. köln, germany said,

October 13, 2007 at 01:39

it is commendable job with the lovely and touching pics and writing. it is touching and true. above all, the smiles and cheerful expression speak a lot about the pride, dignity and courage of the people and place despite their hardships. thanx a lot for bringing us closer to our land and people.

102. Raju Malla, Wichita ,KS USA said,

October 13, 2007 at 02:32

Dear Kshitiz ji
    Regards from United States,thank you so much for recalling me the moment which i pass in jumla for 7 days . I recall the moment of 2005 when i was in khalanga Bazzar of jumla for an surgical eye camp which was for the seven days. i recall the moment how was the people like in juma how preety they are.
    yes,exactly you are writing the same what i experience during my stay in jumla . Thank you for visiting such a preety place and try to compare the photos with people who stay in kathmandu .

103. Bikash Khatri/Melbourne said,

October 13, 2007 at 10:35

Your work is superb. You have given actual reflection of our real life in remote areas of Nepal. This is just an example, we do have many many difficluties.

104. Shyam, BRUSSELS said,

October 13, 2007 at 12:43

Thanks for the amazing photos. It shows how we are lagging behind other nations with respect to education , infrastrucure and develpoement. Now it’s time to do something by the government for karnali and farwest region as a whole. I would like to know from our NRN WALLAS what they ‘re thinking regarding far western part of the country , karnali in particular.

105. yonjan, iraq said,

October 13, 2007 at 15:49

good job burry

106. pradeep banglore said,

October 13, 2007 at 16:42

dherai ramailo lagyo

107. ujjal gc manchester uk said,

October 13, 2007 at 21:04

whooooooooo its so nice . i love my country . when i saw these picture really i proud my country. its so beautiful.

108. basi, london said,

October 14, 2007 at 06:52

Time just stands still whenever a nostalgic thought of nepal pops into my mind and makes me shiver with the shear fact : How long will nepal be reluctant to move ahead? Are all nepalese lacking inertia for everything?
    Cheers for the photographer who brought ahead a lovely aspect of nepal.Absolutely Fabulous!!

109. Prem Luitel/Kathmandu said,

October 14, 2007 at 10:00

There is no words to explain the pictures taken by Kshitiz. Though I have no proper Idea, how Jumla looks like, being a Nepali from an eastern hilly district, I can guess that. They depict the true social picture of Jumla. It’s the true Nepal.

Thanks again to Kshitiz for his outstanding job.

110. Nanda Lal Dharala/Jumla said,

October 14, 2007 at 12:45

wonderfull job kshitij jee.
    But I agree with top bahadur khadka jee. so I hope you will do best during next visit.

111. Deepak pd bhusal said,

October 14, 2007 at 15:17

MALAI EK DAM RAMAELO LAGYO,
    BEST OF LUCK AGAIN

112. pawan k lamichhane ,mannheim ,germany said,

October 14, 2007 at 15:59

nice pics

113. Rajesh Jha (Saskatoon, Canada) said,

October 14, 2007 at 22:35

Its really appreciable job, Keep it up. There are many more to explore about Nepal.
    Happy Bijaya Dashami.

114. ssduwadi,london said,

October 15, 2007 at 02:48

Nice to see these pic. and i personally thanks to the photographer for giving his precious time to share the sorrow and happiness of our nepali people through this image.

115. Rinku/USA,IA said,

October 15, 2007 at 05:53

nice pic u bring home near to us through pic and which is much appreciated.Thanks a lot dai.HAPPY DAISAIN TO ALL OF YOU AND DURGA BHAWANI LE HAMRO NETA LAI SATT BHUDHI DUEN.

116. Ram B. Chhetri,VA,USA said,

October 15, 2007 at 07:59

Thanks for the beautiful pictures which are more touching than any essay about Jumla.Excellent comments by our brothers as stated above.I had the singular honor of trekking to all districts of Karnali zone,Jumla,Mugu,Kalikot,Humla and Dolpa almost 30 years back when I was serving as a Teacher at Budhanilkantha School.We selected quite a few brilliant students on free scholarship.Jivan Shahi of Humla has been doing tremendous job of highlighting the plight of that region through various means.But,it appears that nothing has changed in that region.same as before;rather worse.Leaders talk incessantly about politics only but not for economic development.High time the young shuld take over the reins of the country.

117. pashupati said,

October 15, 2007 at 09:40

true picture of jumla

118. natikaji miya said,

October 15, 2007 at 12:22

natikaji miya (siddik) from gorkha, bayapani 1. harmi but now dubai U.A.E.
    great and exellent picture . thankyou so much rajesh ji.

nati kaji miya, harmi 1 gorkha

119. Reason grg/Rumjatar-8 said,

October 15, 2007 at 12:51

Good job might.u r a man!

120. suraj lamichhane said,

October 15, 2007 at 13:02

It really hurts when the poverty rolls around our eyes . My stay over there in jumla khalanga had really tought me what a real poverty is for them . Though many NGOS are there with thier own slogan it has never being able to solve the real problem of the Jumlis . The construction of road by army has atleast given a glimmer of hopes to connect with the nation .
    After all photos taken have really given a look to the people of other part what poverty is like and what all beauty lies in our country .
    Lets hope if the povery be elevated and beauty be combine with development it will take no time they will be the richest people ever found .
    Let all of us join the hands and pray for thier development .

121. prativa bohara,england said,

October 15, 2007 at 13:43

Dear Kshitiz!
    thanks for your effort and good start,
    That helps to think everyone who reads this materials.
    hope to get materials regularly from you.
    love and respect.
    prativa

122. amogh said,

October 15, 2007 at 13:48

Brilliant. Its really touching. Hats off to you dear

123. prakash gautam,macau said,

October 15, 2007 at 17:35

namaste ma prakash macau bata

jumla ka daju vai ra didi bahini ko aytha esthiti dekhna paiyo.desko abastha neta haru le garda dayaniya vako 6.jumli bacha haru ko photo le sachain man kamalo banayo.many thanks 4 u daju photo collection gareko ma.

124. MBaral,Bangalore India said,

October 15, 2007 at 18:42

Hello Kshitiz Ji
    Lot of thanx for providing the real pics of Nepal.In fact real Jumla n specially Jumli Reflects the reality of nepal n nepalese. from the pictures ,one nepali who can have good oppertunity to know about jumla N jumlis as they r absolutely out of everything in the sense of dvelopment,education n bla bla.This is the major disadvantage of centralization i mean in the sense of power.So lets hope the Up coming Constitent assembly date b fixed soon n the power from singhdurbar must be decentralized to those people n thier place.We should not forget that there r many Jumla N Jumlis inside nepal .

125. balkrishna/bkt said,

October 15, 2007 at 19:34

really fantastic job, go on

126. Shraddha ,seattle,Wa said,

October 15, 2007 at 23:59

Thank you for those great pictures.It may be true the jumlies are poor but i donot think they are unhappy, by looking at the pictures.Most of us living in different country and who are we to say we feel sad about that.We need to go back and help our country Nepal but look at us we are too fearful to become one of them.I have all the comforts but i feel no different that them who don’t have any being away from my Nepal.Thank you !!!!!!!

127. BHIM PRASAD PANDEY said,

October 16, 2007 at 00:29

बिजया दशमी तथा दीपबली 2064 को उत्तोरत्तर प्रगतिको कामना गर्दै हार्दिक मंगलमय शुभकामना ब्यक्त गर्दछु।

128. Netra Bhandari, Goettingen, Germany said,

October 16, 2007 at 02:32

I revisited the Photo Blog once again and browsed through the comments. One may find couple of comments from Jumli fellows quite interesting and touchy. I will not agree with some comments in this blog which tell there has not been done anything in the region. Until when, we will say this? This is a old code and clichés that some political leader used to imply in their talks. Now, the time has been changed and we have to build our respective regions ourselves. There are couple of local NGOs who has done significant jobs in development and sensitizing people. I don’t believe in any development panacea, neither I blame any development works. A lot has been achieved so far after 2046BS. There is nothing to be blamed to the leaders and to lean our views to the capital ‘Nepal in Jumli terms- as my Mitju CP Devkota mentions’ showing our absolute dependency to KTM. To summarize this, there have been so many positive things achieved in last one decade, let me list here a few-

1. A Karnali highways has touch the heart of Jumla
    2. There is FM station
    3. Telephone service has been improving
    4. Airport is tarred
    5. Vegetable growing has been increased thus malnutrition has been reduced significantly
    6. One can hardly find goitre “Galagand”- in Jumlis (as past two decades before it used to be 10 out of 1000)
    7. Jumlis were the one who rejected former PM Bhattarai, when he said one can shouldn’t trust a woman and weather in his speech in Jumla.
    8. Education level and literacy is increasing drastically among Jumlis.

So, if we look at the bright side of JKarnali, despite few challenges, it may offer several potentials for the future of Nepal. The natural resources, medicinal plants, horticulture in the region are most promising. Well, if one speaks through the pictures only, you can catch several problems, perhaps more than Jumlis have, in Kathmandu alone in environmental, social and economic terms.

If you some of you may like to see more photos from Jumla, please visit the following webpage:

Kindest regards,

Netra Jumli

129. Hanover, Germany said,

October 16, 2007 at 05:33

Nice to see such photos and information by the media, but not only in English langauge please, Nepali need Nepali language especially! People who can English read and understand, they know nicely about Nepal and nepalese. You know what I mean! Anyway thanks for all!

130. Roshan Bhandari said,

October 16, 2007 at 09:03

Thanks for your wonderful pictures of Jumla.This is the place where i was born some 30 years back and i dont have any memory at all cause I didnot spend long time there( little baby boy).Currently i am living in Sydney since last 8 years and I have not decided yet how long i gonna stay over here but I have a dream to go back to Nepal at some stage and visitJumla( place to be ) my place of birth .
    cheers
    Roshan

131. Glenn Mitrasing said,

October 16, 2007 at 09:31

It’s avery nice report. I’ve been twice in that area and it might be nice for people to read the book of Monica Connell ˜Against a Peacock Sky™ who lived there for several years. It’s highly apreciated and gives us a lot of inside information.

I await the next report from Rara to Mugu.

132. gajendra chand /oslo norway said,

October 16, 2007 at 11:37

it IS REALLY TOUCHING HATT. THANX FORPHALANO N KSHITIZ MITRA………

133. suana lama -china said,

October 16, 2007 at 11:46

I think at present most of the nepalese only know that they are the citizen of a country called Nepal but they still dont know the real NEPAL
    Thanks for showing a part of reality and i wish every nepalese realize that there are still lot to know ,see and think about the country where we belong .

134. Suborna gautam Copenhagen said,

October 16, 2007 at 19:34

thundering picture of nepal it shows real nepal because people of city so called civilized and developed think only cities represent nepal but they dont know Nepal is verry backward.
    its recalled my childhood of remote village of baglung

135. Robin Thapa, Nashua, New Hampshire, USA said,

October 16, 2007 at 20:59

Hi Kshitiz:
    ‘Kudos’ to your effort! Seeing is believing. And the ‘kodak memories’ you posted reflect the happiness within rather than the darkness potrayed in the media. ‘Change has to come within rather than thrusted upon’ and who better than residents of Jumla know what is best for them. Thanks!

136. Birat Krishna Thapa St.Cloud Minnesota said,

October 17, 2007 at 03:27

Its really a wonderful yet heartening feeling to go through the rural parts of Nepal, in this case Jumla. Although fate may have them in their heels yet with their never ending nerve for survival, situations do favor them. Its high time the government brought about changes for further development through the instruments of democracy.

137. Suresh Poudel said,

October 17, 2007 at 06:27

It’s good to see Jumla… Am hoping to reach every corners of Nepal by foot, vehicle or air… Yet it ‘s so nice to see them beforehand. Thanks for taking us there…

138. Suresh Poudel, DC, USA said,

October 17, 2007 at 08:30

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

139. Harkey said,

October 17, 2007 at 12:34

Folks,

Its been nearly a week and the page has got enormous comments, many of which are heart touching and have influenced me to be back in the fields of nepal very very soon.

Thankyou very much for all ur comments and i actually hope all the expectations we have thrown in here comes true to Nepal’s future.

For now everybody enjoy dashain. Doesnt sound that good to be saying it with all the chaos, but i guess that shouldnt stop us from living our life should it.

Hehe

Kshitiz

140. sagar gautam (singapore) said,

October 17, 2007 at 12:36

thanku verymuch 4 ur heart touching photographs.yet i’ve not been tojumlabut afetr seeing thepictures shown above and words written there i would like to go there ……………….
    thankyou very much to phalano .com and to kshitij

141. Madan NYC said,

October 17, 2007 at 22:24

We Nepalese must stand to change the face of Nepal. Jumla is just a example there are more places like jumla.Foreigners love to enjoy the culture and the way we respect them.They like to keep Nepal as it is today. We must understand this and act now.Othertwise we will never reach asian and western standard and we have to stop to expect to get help in everything from other Countries.

142. Karun ( Louisiana, USA) said,

October 18, 2007 at 00:14

Hey kshitij and friends,

It was so nice to see our home and our people. I was very proud to see them living their life (happily as kshitij mentioned) despite of the poverty and lots of other disadvantages. We just cannot sit and blame each other for all the problems. We ourselves have to build our own place. Thanks kshitij for brining jumla to us. Also, In one of the comments i found that Mr. Netra has posted a link to some other wonderful pictures of jumla.

Regards
    Karun

143. Hari Rai Boston,U.S.A. said,

October 18, 2007 at 08:11

HI how such realy and very close to by took this picture .and i thought you are very cosidiaretion and knidly guys how difficult for you but very nice and i allso diply think about that i’m appriceat you. i hope you are coutinue this progam and anther part of Nepal .life is short but we must to do something .thanks

144. Kathmandu said,

October 18, 2007 at 08:49

Great collection of remote lifestyle to acknowledge for modern lifestyle.

145. Gambhir Man Shrestha/Tallahassee, Florida, USA said,

October 18, 2007 at 21:13

Hi Khitisz:
    Thank you for all pictures in the album. I’m so overwhelmed with the pictures that I plan to share these beautiful pictures with my colleagues. Thanks once again and keep up the good work.

Gambhir

146. Suman Gelal said,

October 19, 2007 at 10:55

All of these commenters has thank for the good photo, very sad to get these types of comments it is not only photo it is the real figure of our own nepal. And we concious people shown no single effort to assist these problems and notable thing is we do not again want these photo to be seen instead we want samriddha Nepal.

147. ashis ktm said,

October 23, 2007 at 13:28

Needful article…but who’s gonna read……..like “peace sells but who’s buying”
    what to change and what not? Education is the primary need to change and politics is the secondary one. Then after, we will get Jumla as a reasonable part of Nepal with its beauty touching then and now and in future too.

148. Dhruba/uae said,

October 23, 2007 at 13:55

I am feeling very gloomy such a beautiful nation doesn’t have people who has single deem to foster our scenic country, I would feel very pride such a typical natural beauty we have, thanks to publish nepal originality.

149. Siva Selva/ Kuala Lumpur said,

October 29, 2007 at 15:18

you know as the saying goes ‘one has not seen poverty till you’ve seen poverty’. Jumla is only a peak of an ice berg. This are not the residues of ancient nepal. But the current harsh reality of undeveloped Nepal. The cities maybe covered with what one thinks the influence of modern civilization. Dirty and corrupted politics is what comes to ones mind when viewing this pictures. This pictures should make one ponder and not reminisce of their joy. I have always loved the country and am constantly rendering my services to its people. When 3rd class people not by social hierachy but by EQ are made to become leaders of a Nation, theres only bleak future ahead. The things one perceives and do must change for the benefit of him/herself and others.

150. Ram, Amsterdam said,

October 31, 2007 at 00:42

Thanks lot!

I see my childhood and reality of thousands of Nepalses. It motivates to do something good for community.

151. prem chhantel said,

January 1, 2008 at 15:00

Really fantastic village in JUMLA NEPAL……….
    PREM CHHANTEL
    SURKHET SATAKHANI 4 LAMIDAMAR

152. nabin bangladesh said,

January 25, 2008 at 04:31

gr8 job and i remember the sayings “‘a picture worth more than million words!!!”

153. kamal/mumbai said,

March 25, 2008 at 12:02

i am so glad to show my place nepal photos who lies under jumla. But in one thing i am so sad that seeing the place jumla because of the undeveloped in educational sector, health sector , Electric sector , transportation sector and communication secotor. We people of nepal should have to make aware to the goverenment about the place like jumla .

154. enna/santosh USA said,

March 31, 2008 at 21:29

Namaste, Chhittizji,
    Outstanding job. Thanks for showing the reality of Nepal in either ways, owsome scenery of the contry and owful misery of life over there. It is also an excellent example to the photographers to bring the courage in them to publish these sort of pictures in the magazine and papers instead of the pictures of the selfish, corrupted, big mouth, liar, post-greedy dirty fat belly politicians. We Nepalese have to leave our country and cometo overseas finding alternatives coz of these so called po- li- ti -ci -ans. If there was possibilities and good employment we wouldn’t have to come here. Shame on you blind Neta haru, Don’t you have two good eyes and moral heart to feel the hunger and agony of your own people? COMMON NEPALI LET’S GET RID OF THESE DIRTY GAMES FROM OUR COUNTRY
    Chhittiz ji netaharulai gali garne web site kholnuparyo, yasto photoharu dekhayera. We are gonna be proud of you.

155. TENZIN lAMA,Guangdong,China said,

April 28, 2008 at 09:49

We think that Nepal is only Kathmandu,but the real Nepal lies in the far western which is virgin as before and havent touch by anyone. I thank Adiraj ji for his contribution and i really like his photography.The Photo speaks about the lifestyle,geography,poverty,education,health and culture .God the picture shows the million words.thanks for adiraj ji ‘for his contribution.and also phalano.com for the nice blog

156. Ramesh Bade,Oxford Road,London said,

June 24, 2008 at 21:18

i had been jumla for about three years still my relatives are there . Thjank you for your beautiful pictures in jumla . do you know i feel i am in jumla now.

once again,Thankyou very much for your beautiful pictures in jumla.

157. OP SINGH, DELHI said,

June 25, 2008 at 12:42

OP SINGH, DELHI, INDIA

VERY NICE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES OF JUMLA.

I WANT TO VISIT JUMLA PLEASE ADVISE DETAILS.

REGARDS OP SINGH

158. Glenn Mitrasing said,

June 26, 2008 at 02:14

I wished I could visit the place again and walk all the way to Rara Dah!
    I have been there twice and always remember how nice it was to sit at the ‘beach’ of Rata Dah

Thanks you for these nice pics.

Glenn
    Editor Nepal Startpagina

159. sarita/texas(us) said,

June 27, 2008 at 23:28

even we like common people of nepal know what is problem in nepal….n the so called intellectual people of nepal who have taken the responsibility to make nepal..i think they r just blind n dumb…worst people in country…just too mean…they dont c naything then kurchi..

160. nayan limbu/out of country said,

July 3, 2008 at 01:22

Dear,
    How do i can explain to you sir, Now what i am feeling really by above of pictures ……..reminding my real childhood, so i appreciate with your collection of real Nepal. You try to find out oue realities of Nepal from each revenue. we are willing to know what we had have missed in our own Nepal. Thank you very much.

161. Rajendra giri bajhan, said,

July 25, 2009 at 18:01

It were really beautiful and wonderful views , I really love my Nepal because more attrective places are situated here .And i feel really lucky sa a habitant of this Nation among these beautiful views. t I heartialy hanks to phalano .com viewer team.

162. puspa said,

September 1, 2009 at 16:44

hello,krishna,i like ur picture collection

163. hari har kafle /jumla said,

November 24, 2009 at 14:42

this place is a heaven in the view of natural beauty.we can develop this region by working in communing.all people living there should to done commitment until to become developed.

164. manasha kafle said,

November 25, 2009 at 12:57

namaste all of sinja bashi;we have to developed our vally within 10 years.

165. Tajul din miya harmi gorkha said,

January 3, 2010 at 01:21

Tajul

166. Tajul din miya harmi gorkha said,

January 3, 2010 at 01:29

Hi I Make A all frind please riquiest me

167. Tajul din miya harmi gorkha said,

January 3, 2010 at 01:37

Assalamalekum all my frind from tajul din miya gorkha makundada bayapani now at doha sanaiya_2

168. lokendra,ktm said,

January 13, 2010 at 15:42

dear kshitij sir,a heartly thanks to u by all of jumlis n u have reflected the truth what the problems jumla have got?The leaders are talking about the comparison of nepal with switzerland but the reality is this u have reflected.and i would like to show my finger towards the politicians of jumla mainly is this a change that u have done for jumla?politicians all are craps talking one but a zero work

169. Yam G.C. Ghachowk VDC8 Kaski said,

April 16, 2010 at 20:44

Thanks a lot to the blogger for the reflecting the jumla on pictriol form. Those pictures should be look by the politicial, social worker, and planner too. Jumla is not only of the people who are living there, this is our jumla and they are our brother and sisters. We must support them for your poverty. The country must be support them 100 times more than the people living in the urban area.

170. sydney, australlia said,

August 31, 2010 at 09:27

thanks for real pictures of social

171. Raj Bahadur Budthapa, Jumla said,

October 6, 2010 at 12:22

To All,

Thanks for justice and social picture of Jumlai culture. Please visit in Jumla and sharing culture and traditional system.

Raj Bahadur Budthapa
    Chandan nath-4, Jumla

172. Kumar Hyderabad said,

October 20, 2010 at 00:59

Very Good…:) Keep It UP!

173. dalludai, Pokhara said,

May 3, 2011 at 07:03

Picture speak. It’s real Nepal’s pictures.

174. laxmi cahulagain/ kathmandu said,

June 14, 2011 at 13:49

very nice job…… pictures r so nice n perfect ……. the picture shows social culture n society r really nice

175. maya/jumla said,

April 7, 2012 at 09:40

hi! sir,
    I’m really greatful for your wonderful work ; depicting the true scenario of the jumla and the jumli people. There are many educated , learned people of jumla who are working abroad and some working in other places of Nepal, I would like to request them to return and contribute something to their birth place, If all the people became united and work hand in hand , together we can make it a wonderland…

176. Sweta/Kathmandu said,

August 14, 2012 at 11:20

This is going to be my first trip to Jumla, well, first trip in Karnali. Thanks for letting me know what to expect.

177. dan said,

August 29, 2012 at 15:53

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for info about this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply?|What i do not realize is actually how you are not really a lot more smartly-liked than you may be now. You’re very intelligent.

Leave a Feedback