04.14.07

by Rajesh KC

Time: 1645
Date: April 12, 2007, Thursday
Audience: Approximately 300
Program: An evening with Deep Shrestha
Venue: Rimal Theater of Gurukul

I have attended almost all of Deep Shrestha’s concerts in the last few years. Being his songs’ fan, I used to take his photos in his every performance. Actually camera disturbs me during the concert as it diverts my concentration towards lighting, singer’s expression and mesmerizing audience. I usually get busy than a singer and musicians. But this time I decided to leave my camera in the car to listen to Deep attentively. I sat on the rug in front. As soon as he starts with his first song ‘Ma Pattharko Devata Hoina’, the audience clapped in time to the music. But I couldn’t hold myself from rushing to get my camera… I actually wanted to share this moment with you in PHALANO.

Statue of Gopal Prasad Rimal outside the theatre

Gurukul in Purano Baneswor

Deep (a lamplight)

Adding some humor with amusing old stories behind his songs, Deep followed his songs with Basanta Thapa’s ‘Kahanbaata Lyaaun Ma’ and ‘Har Raat Sapanima’ by Viplob Pratik.

‘Ma ta Pahiro Bhitra Chhu’… Deep and his song writer Rajendra Thapa

Deep also performed Bishwombhar Pyakuryal’s ‘Bishwas Gara‘, Raman Ghimire’s ‘Eutai Baato’, Bhairav Nath Rimal’s ‘Jhaskiechha Mana Mero’, ‘Saainlibari Chiyabarima’ by Bijay Shrestha, and ‘Jheerma Uninu’ and ‘Ma Ta Pahirobhitra Chhu’ in Rajendra Thapa’s words during the latter part of the program.

‘Sailibari Chiya Barima…’

One of his own favorites ‘Pahadko Ukalilai…’ written by poet Ishwor Ballabh

Audience was mesmerized with Deep’s intact voice.

Answering to the audience’s shouting-once more, he was saying “there are lots of ‘once more’ ahead”

Poet Piplob Prateek

‘Kati Kamjor Rahechha Bhagya…’ written by Yuvan Tuladhar, ‘Bhanthi Meri Uni…’ and ‘Timi Aakashko Joon…’ in Shiva Shankar Thapa’s words and ‘Samjhi Basen Timilai…’ written by Yogendra Malla.

‘Eutai Baato Sandhain Bhetghat…’ by Raman Ghimire

Deep’s one of the intimates and lyricist/columnist Basanta Thapa welcoming the audience after a short interval

Deep also danced while singing ‘Mero Ankhama Bhardin…’

‘Sunideu Saano Chhandako Katha’… by the singer himself

At the end, he also premiered a new song ‘Kahile Aakash Pani…’ written by Basanta Thapa.

Deep was accompanied by a group of musicians comprising Manik Man Singh on bass guitar, Bikram on rhythm guitar, Jyoti Ghimire on lead guitar, Balram Samal on flute, Manaraja Nakarmi on tabala, Rupesh Singh on octopad and Dinesh Regmi on keyboard.

This beautiful fan of Deep was dancing in many songs

The 2-hours program (organized to raise fund for Gallery 9) was perfectly ended with his evergreen number ‘Biteka Kurale…’ written and composed by Deep himself, amid back vocals from the entire audience enthusiastically.

All pictures by Rajesh KC

121 comments »

1. Thailand Bankok said,

April 16, 2007 at 4:19 pm

deep shrestha is my favourite singer . i hope always he can give us good and nice song .kati kamjor rahecha bhagaya, is realy nice song . i like this song very much . Thanks Mr. Rajesh for great job.
    happy new year 2064 to all of u .

2. dipak titung tamang morang said,

April 16, 2007 at 4:21 pm

what bluemoon!

deep shrestha my favoutire singer.thanks phalono family to take this nice snaps.

thank you!

3. Hikmat Thapa,Lagos,Nigeria said,

April 16, 2007 at 4:25 pm

धन्यवाद ! राजेश !धन्यवाद गुरुकुल !!
    जीवन्त काल्जयी दीप लाई सम्मान गरेकोमा !
    हीक्मत थापा
    लेगोस् , नाइजेरीया

4. ganesh thakur,iraq said,

April 16, 2007 at 10:24 pm

i like to give thanks to deep shrestha, you are realy emagine and any body can gat proud of you been an nepalease famouse singer.he is a great singer.and also i like to give thanks to phalano .com,to gathering good like this colum.you all have a happy new year-2064.thanks

5. sentiments r tough/cambze/MA said,

April 17, 2007 at 6:35 am

I will go with Murari of Seattle. This website should put some videos of this event so that we(abroad ppl) can download it and get along in the depth of sentiments with deep shrs. I don’t know his other songs but i’am driven crazy by his one best song called ‘mero akhama’ and that’s what makes him even greater than shakespere, devkota, beethoven or mozart. i wish all the best to him.

6. gurkha, london, UK said,

April 17, 2007 at 12:02 pm

Deep mama is the real deep of nepali music…Great vocal Great music Great lyrics…i salute him…Hope this deep will glow forever in the history of music….Hope to meet u in uk again….

7. Durga Panday/Singapore said,

April 17, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Dear Rajesh,
    You do mistake by getting your camera coz you loss the opportunity to feel DEEP’s music sentiment further you fail to give even 1 (one ) percentage of the feeling of the program by your PHOTOS.

8. mumbai said,

April 17, 2007 at 2:57 pm

………….aba aaune din haruma sabai nepali ko mutu lai banduk ko golile hoina deep ka meetha meetha geet haru chhedus

9. Laxman Gurung said,

April 17, 2007 at 5:47 pm

specially this messege goes to दीप दाई,
    म तपाईंको गीतहरुको,गलाको प्रसंसक हु, हर् रात सपनिमा, झिर्मा उनिनु त्यो एउट कुरा,
    हुं यात्री , भन्थिन् मेरि उनि, अनि थुप्रै गीत हरु गुन् गुनाउने पनि गर्छु ।
    अझ नजिक बाट भन्नु पर्दा “राष्ट्रियतको लागि गोपाल योन्जन्” संगीत कार्यक्रम मा कोरस् गायक को भूमिका निभाउने मौका पाएको थिए ।
    अनि दिव्य खालीङ सर को संगीत मा ईन्द्रबती टेलिफिल्म को गीत पनि Prime studio मा सँगै बसेर record गरेको अझै याद छ ।
    sorry messege लामो भयो । I wish you Live long and keep singing
    लछ्मण्, ब्रसेल्स्
    thank you Rajes daai for grateful work.

10. Shyamal, Kathmandu said,

April 17, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Attending Deep Shrestha’s concert for the first time was an enriching experience. His songs are memorable and a balm to bruised hearts. He is truly a national icon, who brings about the best in a Nepali artist.

11. purna shrestha / kuwait said,

April 17, 2007 at 6:18 pm

heatfull thanks to dear RAJESH JI and DEEP dai

ekchin ta nepal nai pugejasto lagyo tapainharu majh basera ma pani programm hereko jasto feeling bhayo…
    tapainko kam jyadai sarahniya lagyo….

dhilai bhaye pani…. HAPPY NEW YEAR 2064..to all nepali pariwar…
    naya barsha ko dherai dherai SUBHKAMANA…….

12. Bibek, Kathmandu said,

April 17, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Rajesh ji,

My view about this concert is a bit differnt. This lavish concert organised and ‘enjoyed’ by Kathmandu’s so-called literati is beyond the reach of ordinary Nepalis like me. I do like Deep Shrestha, but not as much as in my early 20s. I loathe such ‘exotic’ concerns. With respect to our threatre personalities, I just say that Gurukul reminds me of the private theatres of our old tyrants, the Ranas.

Bibek

13. Bhusan Norway said,

April 17, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Dear,Rajesh thanks for the photos of deep shrestha. I am really pleased to see him as I am a great fan of him. keep it up.

14. amrit/ usa said,

April 17, 2007 at 9:24 pm

i am big fan of deep dai give your valuable time to abord also ok

15. harikharel/USA said,

April 18, 2007 at 2:11 am

म तपाईंका गीतहरु मन पराउछु ।तर धेरै गीतहरु अधरो तापेर जिन्दगी खोजे जस्तो भान् हुने ,रुने कराउने र पिडा बान्ता गरेर आराम गरे जस्तो छन । जे होस् राम्रा छन /

16. rajesh gautam iraq said,

April 18, 2007 at 6:34 am

first ofall i would like to thank rajesh for great photos and pleased to read news . i am fan of deep such he a great singer of our nepal . he is one of them again i would like to thank him may luck always be with you keep it up . rajesh [bibas]

17. sandip san (singapore) said,

April 18, 2007 at 9:07 am

I like it

18. Jiwan,Wichita, USA said,

April 18, 2007 at 9:10 am

love the photos…

and i missed the program of Deep Dai..

and to Deep dai-
    “kati kamajor rahechha bhagya timro karyakram herna paaina.”

19. rajan said,

April 18, 2007 at 3:53 pm

big thanks to rajesh dai for those beautiful pic. deep dai nepali sangitik chetra ko tara hun. deep dai le swor dinu bhayako sabai geet haru ramra rah man chune khalka chan. aja pani ramra ramra geet sangit diyara gun lagaoune hune cha bhanne biswas liyako chu.

20. sryan mothey in belgium said,

April 18, 2007 at 4:39 pm

hello deep dai namamste…..
    i really like to see your concert but no way i’m so far from there but before i used to present every yours concert in nepal….i can’t imagine how was ontspanen anyway whenever i come back to nepal then will be involve once again untill then have a good day bye …grt …. jessica and sryan 8500 kortrijk in belgium

21. Lokendra/Sri Lanka said,

April 18, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Dear Deep,

Your voice is so deep that no one can ever forget it.

Dear Rajesh,

Your photographs are so photogenic that every observer can feel that they are live in music hall!!

Congratulation to both of you

Lokendra Raj K.C.
    Sri Lanka

22. Manoj Chamling Malaysia, Johor said,

April 19, 2007 at 1:07 am

As a one of the fan of Mr. Deep stha. I really missed his live concert. But It dosn’t matter, there is a phalano.com who really do care us, that who ever not at nepal at present. He really fullfill our missings such a antique events. Dhannyabaad phalano.com and release my regards to Mr. Deep Stha. as well.
    Manoj Kumar Rai

Dharan-17 Sunaulo marga
    Sunaulo Library

23. Gorkhali, Darjeeling said,

April 19, 2007 at 3:24 am

Many thanks to Rajeshji for capturing the moments with Deep Shrestha. Darjeeling and whole of India (Nepali community) salutes him for coming back on the stage with evergreen songs.

He has come back after many years, I don’t know why he eluded us for a long time. Darjeeling is a city of musicians, literateurs, poets and singers. Yet we are devoted to Deep Shrestha and wish him a long life….a happy life….a singing life….singing those songs again… Deep Daju, come to Darjeeling, we are waiting to see you singing live in front of us.
    M. Gorkhali, North Point, Darjeeling

24. Sarad/Kathmandu said,

April 19, 2007 at 2:09 pm

It was one of the best musical programmes that I ever attended to listen in many years. The pcitures enlived my memory of the evening that I spent listening Deep Dai’s programme at Gurunkul.

25. Deepak Dubai said,

April 20, 2007 at 2:30 am

Deep dai, You r my everything. I really love your voice and your all the songs. That s all my faveorite.

26. Dib/Beaumont (TX) said,

April 20, 2007 at 12:42 pm

A great singer and my best. I wish i could have been there too to listen him live. The audience must have had great time listening to deep dai.

27. Kavita Budhathoki UK said,

April 21, 2007 at 2:05 am

hello Deep bro

i am big fan of deep dai your fav for all nepali.
    u win all of as heart. will u give your valuable time for as

28. subodh nepal, kathmandu said,

April 21, 2007 at 6:36 am

श्री राजेशजी लोकपृय गायक दीप श्रेष्ठका जीवन्त र हृदय छुने तसविरको लागि धेरै धरै धन्यवाद । नयाँ वर्षले हामी सवै नेपालीकोजीवनमा शान्ति ल्याअोस् ।

29. Sujeet Pradhan, Okayama, Japan said,

April 21, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Whether you are a guitarist or a keyboard player, humming no other songs would give you more pleasure than Deep Shrestha’s songs.
    He is a versatile singer and composer.
    Sujeet Pradhan

30. Shreyas Pradhan, Okayama, Japan said,

April 21, 2007 at 2:46 pm

I am an eight years old kid. My father is a big fan of Deep Shrestha. And so am I. I wonder what kind of guitar he plays. I want to be a great musician too.

My father says, humming no other songs would give you more pleasure than Deep Shrestha’s songs. He is a versatile singer and a great composer.

31. /Kiran Shrestha/Boston, USA said,

April 21, 2007 at 6:30 pm

How may I see the recor of the concert?

32. MAN BAHAUDUR TAMANG,Kuwait city, Kuwait said,

April 22, 2007 at 5:31 pm

I had been his fan since long time. But when I came in Kuwait very hard to get his songs. Anyway I like him so much, and I likehis songs. When I will be back to Nepal then I will be continue. At last thank to Gurukul and all Deep’s fans, and Happy new year to all Nepalese people.

Man Bahadur Tamang
    desert of Kuwait
    AAl mulla company(Group)

33. shanti Denmark Ahurs said,

April 22, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Hello
    Happy New year_2064.It is really nice to see pic and Deep singer thanxx.

34. Ambika Yonjan /Morang/Johor,Malaysia. said,

April 23, 2007 at 10:12 am

Deep Dai tapaiko kala anusarko gala 6. Tapaiko gana haru malai sabai man parchhan. Sathai Naya barsa 2064 ko tarfa bata uttarottar pragati ko Shuva kamana 6.

35. Prabin G/MANIPAL,INDIA said,

April 23, 2007 at 3:37 pm

I really missed that live event of Deep Shreshta. I have been his fan from nearly two decades,most of his songs are wonderful,no doupt but “SAMJHI BASE TIMI LAE,JHIR MA UNINU,MERO AAKHA MA,MA TA DOOR DEKHI,BHANTHIN MERI,BITEKA,HU YATRI” are all time favourate songs.
    Thanks to rajesh Ji,i was not having deep’s photo now i have.
    Happy new year.

36. Himamshu Dahal said,

April 23, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Oh! sorry deep dai I have mised ur programee. If I was here surely I will join U in the Gurukul.

U R my best singer and I wish we can heard many many of U R great songs in near future.

37. pramod dahal ,Now in korea, jeonju University said,

April 23, 2007 at 7:00 pm

Deep dai namaste]
    yaha laai naya barshako mangalmaya subhakamana chadauda chhu.Nepal ma tapaiko jasto abaaz maile aru ko gala bata sune ko chhaina…Tapain le gayan ma swor samrat , ….bhibhinna samrat ko upadhi nadiye pani nepali adhunik pop ma deep shrestha ko naam deep jhai balirahane chha .Tapaika geetharu .amar rahane chha ,,, nepali gayaki ko bisista namuna ho-Deep shrestha .Dai maile pragya Prathistan ma dehe tara 6 barsha ko samaya ma 1 palta bhete ,,matra phone number tipe ra sign matra garna bhaye.Maile geet sikda deep shrestha banera gaauna mazza laag chha , tara nepal ma baritha /ra sachha kalakar ko ajai samman chhaina tesaile dukha lag chha .ra ma deep shrestha banaa khojda jhaskin chhu.. Ma gayan ma bharkhar suruwat gare ko chhu ,, adhunik pop saili..bata ma march ma nepal aaye ko theye tara yaha sanga bhetne thulo echha theyo tara , samaya ko abhaw le bhet huna sakena .prachhi kunai din bhet hola bhanne asha garda cvhhu….yaha ko arshidbad chahn chhu

38. S.B. Shah, New York, USA said,

April 23, 2007 at 7:26 pm

Happy New and thanks a million Rajeshji for bringing out such a great highlights of Deep Dai who is one of my best preferred singers of all seasons. Obviousuly, I have been always listening his songs with same interest and enthusiast for long long times. To me his voice is always evergreen and intact may be that’s a God gift to him. And to be honest with you his voice has a great solace and kind of theraputicness which gives anyone a mental peace and happiness. Besides this he is picky too while singing songs means he has a band upliftmentdevelopof good poets and writers behind him who has contributed him thier great words full of natural stuffs, love and socital causes like one of the brillient example of his best song Har Rat… this is so pragmatic and best suited to the present context of our country because while listining it noone can ignore the realities and the impact of this song mainly reflecting our bigger & deprived society left in the remote parts (dark zones) of our country. Which urge and ignite our every nerves as well as our thoughts to give hands for the betterment of such societies in this country. On the other hand why this song is so touchy because Deep Dai has sung this song through his heart with a great passion and garnished every words of this song with his all great rythemic manner and musical discipline. So today’s modern young singers have to be inspired and learn from such great performances as well as the objectives of his singning career of his long time. Aparently, through his great voice and dedication toward his musical journeies he’s been serving Nepal our beloved land for long long time. Hence we must always give a due respect and honor to such talents been involved in any aspect of arts and literatures in fact they are like our living Heros of this country. However preciously what I want to mention that Deep Dai’s most of the songs are always weighty and leave us a great impact in our heart and souls. That’s the of his beauty his great evergreen voice.
    Once again I give you my heartfelt gratitude and thanks Rajeshji.

39. james ireland said,

April 24, 2007 at 12:47 am

u have always touched bring the fame in front of us.. who are far away from home.. thank you man.. i appretiate ur driving force.. well done

40. Mani P. Gautam ( Mumbai) said,

April 26, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Happy new years 2054 all my Nepalease Brother&sister
    grate singer with his all beautifull and melodious song for all i always would likete hear his song

MANI P.GAUTAM
    JUMLA DISTRICT (MUMBAI )

41. Kalyan Nepal / ON , Canada said,

April 26, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Deep dai…..Great Job and thanks for your Contrubation on Nepali Music…Thanks From Us all Individual Nepali……Thanks Deep Dai

42. Bhuba Shrestha said,

April 27, 2007 at 11:37 am

Thankyou Very Very much Rajesh Dai for puttint tha pictures of The Gretest Singer of NEPAL. I like all the songs sing by Deep Dai.

43. Devendra K.C Dubai U.A.E. said,

April 28, 2007 at 6:21 pm

Hi Rajesh thanks a lot that u give me a chance to see the face of the singer who is a part of my heart and thanks Deep dai from U.A.E all Nepali that for your contribution you give for Nepali songs.Thanks a lot.

44. anil k shrestha/ u.a.e said,

April 29, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Deep shrestha dai is the one of my great influence in music .

He has the voice like the air by which we breath
    He has the word like water which we drink
    He is the singer whose song lyric are always legend

45. Milan(France) said,

May 4, 2007 at 1:40 am

I am missing the song of Biteka kura le.I love to watch the program of Deep shrestha but still in over sea

46. Aalok/USA said,

May 5, 2007 at 10:08 am

awesome pictures rajesh daju

47. RP Shrestha, Amsterdam said,

May 8, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Hi PHALANO,
    Did the organizer is planning to make it DVD or CD of the show?, If so, I’m willing to order certainly one, and hundereds of other provably too!
    Please waiting for reply from PHALANO.
    Thanks.

48. Bikash Kumar Basnet(Doha/Qatar) said,

May 9, 2007 at 10:33 am

Rajesh Jee, Sabai Thik 6nn but Tapailae Video Clips Yass M a milai dinu bhaya ko bhaya aajha raamro huntheeyo…ki…

49. Beecoz basnet said,

May 9, 2007 at 10:45 am

ur admiring pics really gonna bombarden to any of fool,Superb, Go on,coz when u there no need to worry for all about sickness of our country, culture, places and all…..???????

Billions of booms to Deep dai,and, u as well.

50. Beecoz basnet said,

May 9, 2007 at 11:23 am

unmanagable side is the lack of the cd available in the market of live programme, rest of all is, good.

Leave a Feedback