02.16.07

Snowfall in KTM after 62 years

Posted in फोटो फिचर at 7:16 pm by www.PHALANO.com

By Rajesh KC

For the first time in around 62 years, Kathmandu Valley on Wednesday (Feb 14, 2007) experienced brief snowfall. Areas like Kirtipur, Babarmahal, Lagankhel and others saw snowfall for some minutes. It snowed for about 45 minutes, from 1:30 pm to 2:15 pm at Tribhuwan International Airport.
The valley is about 4387 feet above sea level. Meanwhile, most areas in the eastern hilly region saw snowfall, while other areas experienced rainfall.

Jomsom, Sankhu-wasabha, Parbat and some other hilly districts saw about 2-3 feet of snow. The snow along with rainfall was due to the western disturbance in Pakistan and North west India.

Daman, Makawanpur by Pratap Bista

Daman, Makawanpur by Pratap Bista

Daman, Makawanpur by Pratap Bista

Daman, Makawanpur by Pratap Bista

Lumle, Kaski by Prem Nepali

Tourists at Lumle, Kaski by Prem Nepali

Deurali, Ilam by Benup Bhattarai

Palpa by Madhav Aryal

Nalinchowk, Bhaktapur by Bikas Karki

Sanga, Bhaktapur by Bikas Karki

Sanga, Bhaktapur by Bikas Karki

Manbhavan, Lalitpur by Rajesh KC

Manbhavan, Lalitpur by Rajesh KC

People thrill at the snow flakes amidst a downpour in the valley on Wednesday afternoon. The Valley floor saw its first snowfall in 62 years. The last time snowfall was seen in the valley was on January 6, 1944, after heavy rainfall in Jiri.

Patan Darbar Square by Rajesh KC

Patan Darbar Square by Rajesh KC

363 comments »

1. jaydya,london said,

March 2, 2007 at 5:52 pm

its so beautiful……!!!
    jaydya

2. Hikmat Thapa,Lagos,Nigeria said,

March 2, 2007 at 7:49 pm

हीउ देख्ता खुसी लाग्यो। धन्यबाद तपाई सबै फोतोग्राफरलाई।

3. Serina Shrestha said,

March 5, 2007 at 6:29 pm

That’s so nice pics,feels like being there,always had dream to be in snowfall of nepal but misses lots anyway no probs peoples out ther enjoys and get atleast chance to see it,
    feel so good and g8t,thanks u so much Mr.Rajesh K.C.–U really achieve the g8t blessing of all coz u give real memory of the country in true and real forms…thanks a lots,hope to u more nice in comin future..all the best ..!!!!

4. Prasis/VA said,

March 6, 2007 at 4:19 am

Its great to see snow fall picture in Nepal. Thanks Rajesh for sharing the moment. Far but you makes us near to Kathmandu. Thank you again.

5. Uddhav chandra Wagle,Little Elm,texas,USA said,

March 6, 2007 at 7:01 am

Hi Its really enjoyfull to know kathmandu with snow.We used to go Phulchoki and Daman to play snow but I had never thought that Kathmandu would gat snow.At the very day my families phoned me and gave information.Today I m very glad to see the photographs.Thanks to the members who involved in this photographic works.And thanks to phalano.com.Really fantastic.

6. bikash kharel/ny usa said,

March 7, 2007 at 8:36 am

its not good having snow in nepal ppl will die so hope there is no snow in irregular places .

7. Kashyap Kumar Baranwal,Delhi said,

March 7, 2007 at 11:10 am

It was really amazing to read that there was snowfall in Kathmandu and it’s surrounding. If only I could be there to behold the nature’s game.I would like to thank to all who captured that moment in there cameras.May this situation arise in next years too.

8. sabnam Rai Khewa (Limbu),Sydney said,

March 12, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Rajesh ji,
    Very beautiful pictures.Its a rare experience for us to enjoy snowfall in our valley.I didn’t believe when i heard about it, i saw photos ,,,its amazing!

9. bhim London said,

March 13, 2007 at 11:09 pm

i am shock that after 62 years in kathmandu the snowfall.annd i was very unlunky because i was not there in kathmandu…………………………………………………………………

10. Toni - Fort Bragg, California USA said,

March 14, 2007 at 3:27 am

Very cool photos. I visited your beautiful country in the Spring of 1989 and will never forget what an amazing journey I had. I felt at one and truly in touch with what was really important there. As lovely as the snowfall is, I am concerned however about WHY there’s snow now, after 6 decades… For those of you who haven’t yet seen “An Inconvenient Truth” – it’s most important and will explain a lot of what’s going on with global warming – obviously affecting EVERYwhere! We all need to get in touch with what’s going on and take action to prevent further harm to Mother Earth! She’s yelling loud and clear! Thank you again for the photos. Namaste – and PEACE to all! –

11. Kusum said,

March 14, 2007 at 12:28 pm

It does look beautiful and seeing everyone enjoying the snow makes me be there at that moment… fantastic.
    However, this snowfall in kathmandu after 62 years in kathmandu valley is going to put Nepalese government in financial downfall. Now is the time, we all should start paying more attention to enviroment. For me this is the sign of ‘GLOBAL WARMING. Outside world is already busy supporting with education, political issues and trying stablize the nepalese problems. Imagine if we start having this kind of snowfall every year, we’ll have financial disaster. Are we all well prepare for this kind of weather? I mean, Do we have enough food or clothes if we’ve a natural disaster? it is a BIG Question to ask yourself. if you are in school or colleges, please bring this question to your teacher or to your leaders……Are we prepare for this after countries political disaster…..how long we (innocent) have to suffer because of few peoples selfish act…..

12. dinesh-abudhabi said,

March 17, 2007 at 4:23 pm

hi bro
    thanks 4 the best snowy pics.

13. diku waiba denmark said,

March 27, 2007 at 4:45 pm

hej bro
    How nice to see this all the pic. I missed Nepal. right now I can see our country.
    Thank you for wonderful picture.
    Best wishes to you.

14. Suresh thapaliya,podicherry,india said,

March 28, 2007 at 1:56 pm

bro,
    thanks for those beautiful pictures.I was very unlucky to miss such moments.That time i was in this hot pondy near the equator bearing the hot sun n for the first time in my life with no winter experience..
    thanks agaain for such pics
    s

15. uae said,

March 30, 2007 at 7:44 pm

its a beautiful bro…

16. Sri Ram Shrestha(Balkot-2,Nepal)Now in Qatar said,

March 31, 2007 at 10:58 pm

How wonderful picture ,it’s really?. why didn™t it snow when i was there.I really missed it.. Thank u very much for sharing such a beautiful pictures with us.
    Miss u Nepal.

17. amie atok-chaudhary/philippines said,

April 1, 2007 at 8:21 am

ohhhhhhhh so nice i missed it…more pics pls..

18. Kamal Raj Subedi / Kathmandu said,

April 5, 2007 at 4:29 pm

We also got a chance to enjoy such a nice snowfall. Thanx for the nice pictures.

19. bdur,nsw said,

April 6, 2007 at 10:44 am

quick and fine! the days are gone! and the new days come! for the explassing blossoms!!

it was a missing thing for me!!!

20. doha , qatar said,

April 7, 2007 at 5:17 pm

heavenly blessing for peace process

21. Shankar Acharya GErmaney,Freiburg said,

April 14, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Thats great but in germaney everyday snowfall occurs but you did verywell and keep more picture about neapl ök.

22. Tanajib, Middle east. said,

April 16, 2007 at 10:12 am

Those pictures, really recalls me of the past snowfall. i used to visit …
    This was the most romantic snowfall which i missed it. hoping for it, in the year to come.. which i’ll never miss. if i happened to be there…

23. Kathmandu said,

April 17, 2007 at 6:14 am

wonderful pictures¦..
    Makes me feel at home ¦.though i missed my childhood dream of playing with the slow at the courtyard of my home.It still gives me hope to come home next winter and share the thrill with my family.

24. apsana said,

April 18, 2007 at 1:53 am

hi phalano.com

i thurrelly enjoyed those pics.can u had some more please if possible, it would be great

25. Khambu Bilon Uji, Kyoto Japan said,

April 22, 2007 at 1:11 pm

Beauuuuuuuuutiful!!!…..
    Unexpected gift from god up above in the heaven… proabbly thinking to provide some comfort/relief on the special day of Valentine’s day to our nepalese who r intensely stressed these days due to the current political turmoils.. chill ooooout with love n regard… ………….!!!!!!!!!!!

26. sabin/sydney said,

April 25, 2007 at 7:21 am

rajesh ji,
    jhos ma thya ramilo garnu napaya ni hayray ra chitta bujaya …………… i miss that i lot , i wish i was there
    i love nepal
    thanx keep updating with these sorts of entertainments

27. sagar khanal arghakhanchi lumbiniwastnepal said,

April 28, 2007 at 9:21 am

hiiiiiii my name is sagar khanal my home arghakhanchi lumbini . happy new year to all nepali mayako batoma sadai satha dinu hola

28. roshan sydney said,

May 4, 2007 at 9:24 am

missing my great kathmandu a lot…………

29. laba, qatar said,

May 11, 2007 at 7:44 pm

this is marvalous. now climate is changing. we must have to accept.

30. Niranjan/Dunedin, NZ said,

May 12, 2007 at 4:48 am

In more than 6 decades Kathmandu saw first snow fall, people enjoy, smile comes back in sad faces but not on everyone I guess. I am not trying to be pessimist, I just wish everyone from homeless children of Kathmandu street to child from palace could enjoy the moment; through democracy.
    A myth of global warming divides us in two camps, for the moment, enjoy the snow fall and help those who shivers in cold.
    Ofcourse not just a lip service but in deed.
    I miss everyday away form home.

31. Shankar Rai/malaysia(johor) said,

May 23, 2007 at 11:51 pm

wow…..! i am really excited to see snowfall on ktm.vally.i hope next year will be again and i can enjoy to my self. thanks for nice picture.

32. Archana (Fairfax, Virginia) said,

May 26, 2007 at 1:55 am

The pictures are really nice great work.

33. abinas said,

June 13, 2007 at 6:49 am

i don belive it first time i saw there is snow fall in kathmandu vally byt it’s nice.

34. Binda, UK said,

June 28, 2007 at 4:32 am

Great pics!!!!!!!! I miss this historical snowfall. Hope next year I will catch it.

35. usa/philadelphia said,

July 7, 2007 at 12:33 am

luckily i was there in nepal at that time and it was amazing to see snowfall. even my mom was quite surprised to see that . we enjoyed that quite a lot though. it was really wonderfull to have snow all around our home and we could play with it for some time.

must thank nature for that but we have to be carefull though from such untoward weather puzzle plus challenge. must think about global warming and other climatic hazard.

36. shree krishna bista said,

July 12, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Love for my Nepal if you nepali dont forgate nepal

37. binod maharjan/australia said,

July 16, 2007 at 2:15 pm

o i had just miss it because i arrived 3 days later.thanks bro

38. Rajesh Shrestha, Oklahoma said,

July 22, 2007 at 7:03 am

I was lucky to see snowfall in Kathmandu.

39. kedar/qatar said,

August 1, 2007 at 8:05 pm

Ican not feel the snow but when i look on ur add.I was feeling that situation here.thanks for all of this collection.

40. el/kathmandu said,

August 3, 2007 at 5:02 pm

its superb…..this is the first time i’ve ever seen show fall… and that it was on Valentine’s day…wow.. was so romantic….
    its so great that phalano.com has refreshed the moment…

41. sabina (australia) said,

August 4, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Namaste rajesh dai,

Thanks for such a wonderful picture.Though i was in nepal on that day i don’t have any pictures of that moment .Thanks a lot for posting such a great pictures.If you have some more,why don’t you put that on here.
    want to see some more pictures next time .

42. songsak.Chiang Mai Thailand said,

August 4, 2007 at 7:35 pm

I was very lucky to see snowfall in your beautiful city/Kathmandu
    At snowfall time.I were in taxi on the way down from Swyambhu Narth with
    my son to Kopan Monastery. He is a little Lama/Tibetan Monk and living at
    Monkey Temple
    Your pictures make me very much missing your city.
    Surely,will coming back to visit your city on next year’s Lohsa festival
    Thank you and Namaste from Thailand.

43. Rojani, Birganj said,

August 8, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Darshan Rajesh Uncle

How r u? All snaps r too good .

That day when my fren call me & said that there is a snowfall at KTM I was not believing . I thought he was lying & I call my uncle. But it was true.

It is like dream to see snowfall at own home town for the people who lives in terai. Hope to see more beautiful photos next time.

Bye

44. kabindra mahat palanse bhaktapur said,

August 8, 2007 at 5:52 pm

hai tajesh ji
    thanks a lot for beautiful picture.
    every year when snow falled in in nagarkot we would there with frends.
    n enjoy.but this time it fall falls in my birth place . but i m too far.
    i miss a lot taht oppurtunity,
    rally i miss alot that heaven whic i m looking in bikash karki pic.

45. Abhishek / Hyderabad said,

August 24, 2007 at 5:35 pm

wow !! i wish i was there…..awesome

46. chandruta kapilvastu said,

August 25, 2007 at 1:28 am

nice picture i like this picture thank you rajesh k c
    i rally i miss

47. ;'bLk If]qL, rf}ls8f+8f @, ef]hk'/ said,

September 16, 2007 at 2:07 am

Kathmandu will rarely have snowfall like this in the future. Great time to remember. Thank you Rajesh jee.

48. shomaila , newzealand ,wellington said,

September 21, 2007 at 4:46 pm

the pictures are just awesome .actuualy i m not a nepali but i lived in nepal for 4 years ( 1998 to 2003 ) . and i just love the country like anything i love the people .i have great griends there .i wish i could come back there.

49. sangita khanal Australlia,Sydney said,

September 30, 2007 at 11:34 am

ohhhh…. i really miss that event. You did a great job mr. Rajesh…

50. Bigyan/ Sydney said,

September 30, 2007 at 3:01 pm

i flew to Australia just 2 weeks before snowfall in kathmandu.when i heard about it happened…..i was so jealous about Nepalese.And after i see the still-moment of that time here in web…..i just wish to be in Nepal.I love you Nepal….and thankx to photographer brother………….u did a great job reallyyyyyy

Leave a Feedback